There are too many different causes of house fires to discuss in a single post. However, the vast majority of fires occur from just a few different sources. At Cousino Restoration in Toledo, we witness the aftermath from all different causes of house fires. Here are a few of the most common causes and what you can do to prevent them from happening to you.
There are many different ways that a fire can start in the kitchen from a cooking equipment failure. Whenever you are using heat in the kitchen, you should always have someone in the room. You should also keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen to immediately put out any fires.
Portable heaters should always be kept at least one meter away from anything that could potentially catch fire. These include curtains, blankets, furniture, clothes, and so on. Furthermore, if you have a furnace, you should have it inspected at least once a year to ensure it meets safety standards.
Smoking in the bedroom is never a good idea. A cigarette butt can stay alight for multiple hours. It doesn’t take much for a cigarette butt to fall and burst into flames. This is especially important because bedroom fires are the most dangerous and make up the vast majority of house fire fatalities.
An electrical appliance, such as a toaster can start a fire if it is faulty or has a frayed cord. A power point that is overloaded with double adapter plugs can cause a fire from an overuse of electricity. A power point extension cord can also be a fire hazard if not used appropriately.
Candles look and smell great, but they are also a disaster waiting to happen. All it takes is for a single slip or fall for that candle to start a fire. Take care to always blow out a candle when you leave the room.
Out of innocent curiosity, children start hundreds of fires every year. Keep matches, lighters, and candles well out of the reach of children. It is also a good idea to put a smoke detector in your child’s room so you can be notified instantly if a fire starts.
Inadequate wiring is a very common source of fires. Two signs that you may have bad wiring are lights dimming when you use another appliance and fuses frequently blowing or tripping the circuit.
Barbecues are great for a summer activity, but if not done safely can become a serious fire hazard. Make sure that grills are always used away from the home’s tablecloths, and tree branches.
Lamp shades and light fittings can build up heat if they are very close to light globes. Check around the house to make sure. Lamp bases can become a hazard if they are able to be knocked over easily and should be removed if they are. Check that downlights are insulated from wood paneling or ceiling timbers.
Despite your best efforts to prevent fires, they sometimes still happen. At Cousino Restoration in Toledo we understand that, so don’t hesitate to give us a call for help if you suffer from fire damage.